Blogger For Word Add-on is such a cool, well, add-on. Right now, I’m on my way to Manila to attend a research write up coaching session – don’t ask me what that means, I’m bound by a contract that says I should be discreet regarding such things as research write up coaching sessions or else dire consequences will befall me.
Anyway, I want to talk about writing a post thousands of feet above sea level using the PC’s Word program and by golly, on the taskbar I see the buttons Blogger Settings, Open Post, Save as Draft and Publish – which makes me go, Oh my, I certainly feel like a sophisticate.
Okay now let me look around me.
I checked in late so I am sitting way in the back of the plane, as in second to the last row. As everybody knows, backseats are not really fun. Flying a thousand feet above the sea level on a contraption made from steel plates, fiberglass and gray carpet is not exactly, um, my idea of a safe and flash-of-my-life-free travel. So when you are seated in the back of the plane, in the tail, and you can actually feel the rolling of empty space underneath your seat, well, it is not fun.
My seatmate had her cell phone turned on even while the crew is already talking in their coded language which basically translates to: Okay all the cattle are in, let’s lock the gates. I really don’t relish the idea dying in mid-air because some schmuck can’t understand the pilot’s garbled reminder (in English) that cell phones must be turned off until landing – so I told her in my nice, polite voice to please turn her cell phone off because apparently cell phone signals are amongst the top causes of mid-air electronic problems – We are losing altitude and we can’t do anything about it. Oops – along with drunk pilots and bomb in the luggage bin. She turned her cell phone off. She is definitely not schmuck.
More observations from my limited observatory post.
The men behind me, or one of them, have a bad case of halitosis. It is carrying over to my sphere of respiration.
The plane is hovering thousands of feet from sea level. It cannot land yet because there is a heavy outgoing traffic.
There are many Koreans on this flight. They are probably going home after spending a few months in this country learning the English language. Yes people of the world, we teach future world leaders the language of our colonization. Or the language that colonized us. Whatever. The thing is, we have appropriated for ourselves this language and now we speak it so well we teach our Asian brothers and sisters the grammar and syntax and curses that make up the English language.
Tap. Tap. Tap. Yawn.
Tap. Tap. Tap.
The tail of the plane sure affords little entertainment.
Just before I left for the airport, P sent me a text message – asking me to join in a word choosing game – G-string or French cut/pink or lavender/battery-operated or….
Fuck. We are landing now. I should switch my laptop off now. Sorry friends. Ta-ta.
11:26am
8.23.2005
No comments:
Post a Comment